What role can the Haitian Diaspora play in rebuilding Haiti?
What Happened in February 2004, when Haiti’s elected president and parliament were all removed from office?
What have been the impacts of the 2004 coup?
What role has Canada played in Haiti since then?
What might be US President Obama’s “Brother’s New Deal” for Haiti?
Designed in the spirit of dialogue for healing and reconstruction, OIH 2009 is a bold Haitian-led initiative. A space to engage in inspiring, fruitful, and real intergenerational debate on some of the most pressing questions facing the future of Haiti today
• Camille Charlmers, Haiti-based Economist, PAPDA
• Michel Chossudovsky, Professor of Economics, Ottawa University
• Edwidge Danticat, U.S.-based Haitian Author, “Krik? Krak!” And “Brother, I’m Dying”
• Carlo Dade, Executive Director, Canadian Foundation of the Americas
• Raymond Dubuisson, Ottawa-based Haitian Statistician & Radio Host, CHORHA
• Patrick Elie, Haiti-based Political Analyst, Former Haitian Secretary of State for National Defense
• Jude Jean-François, Ottawa-based Social Worker and Radio Host, Member of AKASAN
• Marcus Garcia Haiti-based Veteran Journalist with Haiti en Marche and Mélodie FM
• Peter Hallward U.K.-based Author, “Damming the Flood: Haiti, Aristide and the Politics of Containment”
• Michael Keefer, Associate Professor, University of Guelph
• Marguerite Laurent, U.S. – based Haitian Writer, Lawyer & Performance Poet
• Stu Neatby Ottawa-based Labour Organizer & Member, Canada Haiti Action Network
• Kesner Pharel, Haiti-based Economist
• Jean Erich René, Ottawa-based Haitian Agronomist
• Jean Saint-Vil, Ottawa-based Haitian Writer & Member, AKASAN and the Canada Haiti Action Network
Saturday, February 28th
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
University of Ottawa
85 University (Jock-Turcot Building)
A prepared lunch will be available for purchase at this free event.
Presented by: AKASAN, Ottawa Haitian Students Club, Ottawa Haiti Solidarity Committee, SFUO Ottawa
Presented with the Support of: Global Research, OPIRG – Carleton, No-War-Paix, ASCORCAN, Territorio Libre, Ottawa-Cuba Connections.
Info: (613) 482-2549